Improve population health by advancing science and training tomorrow’s leaders
The School’s mission is based upon its commitment to serve the community, the nation, and the world by training future public health leaders and discovering and communicating innovative approaches to addressing public health challenges. Our commitment extends to enhancing population health and overall well-being by working with the broader public health community to:
- Advance knowledge on population health through an understanding of risk and protective factors throughout the human lifespan
- Develop evidence about effective medical and public health interventions
- Evaluate and disseminate strategies to encourage healthy behaviors
- Improve health care by identifying effective policies and practices
Impact urgent health challenges and improve health equity
Our commitment to impact urgent health challenges and improve health equity is fueled by our awareness of critical challenges we face as a society, the potential to improve well-being dramatically, and a sense of obligation to address known disparities. The collective experience and expertise within the School guides our vision for the future and the work we are going to undertake over the next five years
Excellence, Diversity and Inclusion, Collaboration, Innovation, Community Focus
Our values are the fundamental beliefs that guide our enduring attitudes and actions. These values are critical to preserving and enhancing the health and well-being of humanity.
- Excellence – We are committed to the highest levels of excellence in research, education, and service to the community.
- Diversity and Inclusion – Because public health by definition concerns a diverse population, the School will continually strive to find new ways to advance diversity and inclusion in a manner that serves every member of the School and the communities with which faculty, students, staff, and alumni work.
- Collaboration – We foster collaboration among the School’s disciplines and among its partners across the University, Rhode Island, the United States, and around the world to benefit the creation and application of knowledge.
- Innovation – We stimulate innovation, creativity, and self-reflection in carrying out our mission.
- Community Focus – We embrace our community partners and support their needs and objectives through high-impact, respectful engagement and ethical conduct.
By the Numbers
Students & Faculty
- Total Student Enrollment (2018-19) 433
- Undergraduate 190
- Master's 165
- Doctoral 78
- Faculty 284
- Undergraduate Concentrations 2
- Public Health, AB
- Statistics, ScB
- Master's Degree Programs 6
- Master of Public Health, MPH
- Behavioral and Social Health Sciences, ScM
- Biostatistics, AM or ScM
- Clinical and Translational Research, ScM
- Epidemiology, ScM
- Global Public Health, ScM
- Doctoral Programs 4
- Behavioral and Social Health Sciences, PhD
- Biostatistics, PhD
- Epidemiology, PhD
- Health Services Research, PhD
- Certificate Program 1
- Clinical and Translational Research
Grants & Funding
- New grants (2018) 213
- Total Awarded (2018) $63M
- Research Centers & Institutes 13
02903 Providence, Rhode Island, USA