Université de Lyon is the most important French University site outside the Paris Region. Université de Lyon brings together in a unifying structure 20 higher education and research institutions of the Lyon/Saint Etienne metroplitan area. Université de Lyon is public institution officially created by a ministerial decree in March 2007.
The statutes of the University, approved by the ministerial decree, specifically include:
- The management of PhDs and doctoral schools attributed by the relevant member
- The international promotion of its activities
- The joint signature of scientific productions with firstly Université de Lyon, followed by the signature of the member institution
- The attribution of Master’s Degrees, on the joint recommendations of member institutions.
- The follow-up of the strategy of the Lyon-based advanced Discipline oriented ResearchNetworks and for the Lyon Institute for Advanced Studies
- The implementation and management of facilities that are shared between its members
- The follow-up of the integration of graduate students into the world of business
- The transfer of technologies obtained from joint research activities
- A policy for the recruitment of foreign teacher-researchers and of post-doctorate students
- The implementation of common projects