The University of Library Studies and Information Technologies (ULSIT) is a state university, renamed by Parliament Decree on 29th November 2010 after the Specialized Higher School of Library Studies and Information Technologies voted in 2004. Throughout the years, it was respectively: Established - 18th September 1950 by Government Decree as the State Library Institute and later renamed as The College of Library Studies by Parliament Decree;
ULSIT has BA, MA and PhD programs for the respective degrees it has successfully passed accreditation procedures. ULSIT has modern facilities for training its students. The specifically designed and built building includes a Ceremonial Hall; specialized seminar rooms; auditoria; computer laboratory by the name of John Atanasoff with modern computer rooms with Intranet and LAN, non-stop Internet access, where contemporary information and communication technologies are taught; a Library and Information Center that can seat 150 readers. A library stock of over 52,000 entries and book storage for 80,000 documents; there is an IP Point – information and consultant centre on copyright law; Career centre for assisting students in their job-seeking activities; a Museum-educational collection called Spiritual Pursuit and Leadership; museum exhibition of the contemporary Bulgarian spirituality; Publishing house “Za Bukvite – O pismeneh”; St. Nicolay Chapel; a phonetic study room; Lecturers’ rooms and administrative staff rooms; a meeting room; a modern gym with a large court; tennis courts; fitness room; canteen; a coffee house.