MSc Water and Environmental Management
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield, United Kingdom
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 13,950 *
Earliest start date
* international students full time, part time £1450 per 15 credits / UK students full time £8870, part time £925 per 15 credits / EU students full time £13950, part time £1450 per 15 credits
"Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2021/2022. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details."
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Recognised Accreditation: Accredited by the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (I.E.M.A.) and the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (C.I.W.E.M.).
- Sector-specific Course Content: You will explore sound water resource management and look closely at the requirements of sustainable development.
- Employment Prospects: Graduates currently work as environmental managers and consultants for global government departments, the Environment Agency, Affinity Water, and Thames Water.
About the course
Environmental water management is of increasing importance to all types of organisations in the UK and throughout the world. There is a growing need for qualified and trained environmental water managers.
The M.Sc. Water and Environmental Management course focus on sound water management and the requirements of sustainable development. You acquire expertise in the choice, design and implementation of a range of environmental management tools and methods including environmental impact assessment, integrated catchment management and environmentally sensitive river management.
Whether you are a graduate looking for a career in environmental water management or a professional who already has experience in this area the course advances your knowledge and skills so that you can develop your career in implementing environmentally sustainable solutions in business and organisations around the world. Studying on the M.Sc. Water and Environmental Management course is the first step to becoming a Chartered Environmentalist.
Seven core taught modules are taken and students then choose one other module from a range of optional modules. Students also complete two modules (Research Methods and Research Project) which specifically support them through their independent research project. The project can be based on a water-related issue that interests you or is relevant to your organisation, and you will be assigned a member of academic staff who will guide you through the research process.
Students will begin their studies, both full-time and part-time, with a core module in Sustainability and Environmental Systems.
This course is accredited by I.E.M.A., a professional body for people working in the environment and sustainability. This course entitles students to free student membership for the duration of the course and on successful completion, you qualify for GradIEMA. Graduate membership is a launchpad for future leaders within the environment and sustainability and offers a range of benefits to support you throughout your career. You can then ‘fast track’ to Practitioner Membership (P.I.E.M.A.) following successful completion of the work-based assessment of competence.
The course has also been accredited by the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (C.I.W.E.M.) which means that whilst students are enrolled on the programme they are eligible for complimentary student membership with that institution. Upon graduation, students will be eligible to apply for graduate membership.
This course is available both full and part-time with intakes in September (Semester A) and January (Semester B). Full-time study in Semester A takes 1 year. Full-time study beginning in Semester B will take 15 months. Part-time study options typically take two years but students are given a maximum of five years to complete.
Why choose this course?
- This route prepares you for all aspects of environmental management in the water industry worldwide
- Accredited by the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (I.E.M.A.) and the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (C.I.W.E.M.)
- It is structured around a modular short course structure to enable flexibility whilst working. This allows a part-time student to not have to take more than 12 days off a year (if studying over 2/3 years)
- Networking opportunities per module with lunch and refreshments provided within your fees
- Use of our Bayfordbury field station
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation, and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
- Sandwich placement or study abroad year: n/a
- Applications open to international and EU students: Yes
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.