Master in Urban Design
Southern Federal University
RUB 170,000 / per year
Earliest start date
The aim of the program is to prepare high-level specialists and develop professional skills in urban design and architecture with a special emphasis on doing project-based learning.
A graduate of the program can change the urban space to meet the modern needs of society. The direction of urban design is new, but at the same time, it is in great demand. The graduate gains knowledge in the field of urban design, sustainable design, human-centered design, knows the principles of universal design in an urban environment.
During their studies, students undergo practical training in leading design organizations and workshops. Course architectural projects are also performed on a real basis.
The presence of a botanical garden at the university makes it possible to conduct research and study plants for their use in projects.
Top reasons to study:
- Practical orientation -participation in real projects, work under the guidance of practicing architects and designers
- Internationality- participation in international projects, exhibitions
- Scientific work opportunity- participation in research projects
- The opportunity to declare yourself- participation in current international architectural competitions.
- Individual learning path- you will be able to deal with the type of projects that will be of interest to you for subsequent employment.
- Architectural design 8 credits
Environmental design in the urban environment, design of art objects and the use of media technologies in the urban environment, renovation of the urban environment, design of the environment based on the idea of territorial branding, the creation of a humanistic environment based on the ideas of universal design.
- Pre-project analysis in design 2 credits
The factors influencing the formation of the urban environment.
- User-Centered Design 3 credits
User-centered design is an approach to resolve problems and find possible solutions to them, focusing on the needs, context, behavior, and emotions of the people to whom the solution will serve. As part of the research, the team will work in situations alongside selected user and stakeholder groups and observing the actions, needs and experience. This type of research increases empathy - a deep understanding of how and why people behave the way they do. Based on the knowledge gained and user-centered research methods, teams generate potential solutions and select the ones that are most valuable and appropriate for improving user / human needs/work/life productivity and quality. Through modeling, prototyping, evaluation, and iteration, solution variants are designed, developed, and fabricated, testing the conformance to settings at each stage in collaboration with selected user/stakeholder groups. The study course is mastered according to the principle of "learn by doing". To reach the main goal of the course students work in project teams alongside chosen user groups and consultants. Created teams plan and implement the process steps and progress, delivering results in presentation and study work.
- Ecological design in an urban environment 3 credits
An ecological approach to design, lectures, and workshops
- Color and Composition of the Urban Environment 3 credits
The use of color and composition in design depends on the urban context, the spirit of the place, the design concept, social, natural conditions, and other factors.
- Principles of Universal Design in an Urban Environment 2 credits
The universal design is designed to create a comfortable environment for various users, people with limited mobility, people with disabilities, and others.
- Experimental design 4 credits
Individual work on a relevant project topic or participation in current architectural competitions
- Landscape urbanism 3 credits
New direction. It is a synthesis of landscape and architectural objects, which are considered as a whole.
- The Phenomenon of the Russian Avant-garde: History and Influence on Contemporary Architecture and Design 3 credits
The architecture of the Soviet avant-garde is attracting more and more attention from researchers. This period inspires modern architects and designers. This is the time of experiments, new approaches in art and architecture. The bonus of this program is that the graduate will gain knowledge about such a phenomenon as the Russian avant-garde, its history, and its influence on modern architecture and design.
- Shrinking cities and the renovation of depressed urban areas 3 credits
The course considers the development and design of the complicated architectural and spatial structures, development of public centers in active urban environments.
- Human-centered design 3 credits
A lecture course aimed at humanizing the environment, projects designed for openness to the natural environment, compliance with environmental principles.
- Visual communication and Designing media technologies in an urban environment 2 credits
The course talks about visual communications in an urban environment, as well as the possibilities of media technologies with an architectural environment.
- Materials of the XXI century and Modern engineering equipment and technologies in urban environment projects 3 credits
It is impossible to create a modern fashionable environment without buildings with modern technologies and materials.
Academic mobility module
- City brand: economic programming and architectural design 2 credits
The objective of this course is for students to obtain knowledge of urban design based on the city brand. Creating an urban design based on the city brand enhances the economic, tourist, and investment attractiveness of the city and the identity of the residents.
The course will expand students' knowledge and understanding of urban environmental design.
Students will learn about the best global experience in designing urban environments based on the brand. And the methods of visual identification of the urban environment. They will see the main strategies of urban design based on the brand. Will participate in the architectural competition to create a fragment of the urban environment based on the brand.
Academic mobility module
- Environmental problems and environmental pollution 2 credits
- Research work 4 credits
At this time, it is planned to write articles, conduct research in the field of urban design.
- Project practice 12 credits
It is planned to participate in the Summer School of Urban Design, practical training in design workshops. Students undergo practical training in design workshops. The workshop can be a partner of the university or the student can choose the place of internship according to their own preferences.
- Design of urban public spaces 4 credits
The student chooses the topic of the final work independently together with the supervisor.
During your graduation project, you will be able to deal with the type of projects that will be of interest to you for subsequent employment.
Graduates of this course can work in architectural workshops, design bureaus, administrative structures. They are able to come up with a conceptual idea and implement it in real design, analyze and organize the urban environment.