About Royal Roads
We learn, work, and live on the traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lekwungen (Songhees) ancestors and families who have lived here for thousands of years. This land has been part of the fabric of the life of Indigenous communities long before Hatley Castle was built, and it will belong into the future. It is with gratitude that we now learn and work here, where the past, present and future of Indigenous and non-Indigenous students, faculty and staff come together.
Located in one of Canada’s most beautiful National Historic Sites, Royal Roads University has a long history of excellence. In 2015, we celebrated 75 years of leadership and learning - 55 years as a military college and 20 years as a public applied for a research university.
We understand the needs and aspirations of our students, and we’ve created options to deliver an educational experience that fits your lifestyle. Our cohort model features group-based coursework, providing a resource of like-minded peers for you to share, challenge and grow with throughout your program. Even after graduation, these groups continue to support your aspirations to ensure your life-changing experience with us has enabled not only professional transformation but a personal one as well.
Learning, Teaching & Research Model (LTRM)
The Learning, Teaching, and Research Model (LTRM), updated in 2019, is a cornerstone of Royal Roads University's success. Royal Roads University aims to provide learning, teaching and research that help people transform careers and lives by solving problems and creating opportunities in the world. As set out in our original Learning and Teaching Model (LTM) in 2013, we focus on producing citizens of the world who are passionate, determined and confident lifelong learners, integrated into a broad network of like-minded learners, and who can confidently manage and resolve complex, real-life problems.
A Sustainable Future
At Royal Roads University, we understand that environmental leadership is required and we’re proud that our students, faculty, and staff support this direction. Climate change is one of the most critical challenges of our time, and we are focused on initiatives that support campus sustainability. Environmental sustainability is not only intrinsically linked to our teaching and research mandate, it’s a challenge that calls for the kind of interdisciplinary and collaborative problem-solving at which we excel.
Changemaking is part of our DNA. We pioneered the blended learning model in Canada and designed something completely different on the post-secondary landscape. We created a unique learning experience through digital delivery that allows students to stay connected to their communities and combined it with an unparalleled natural and historic environment for research and study in Victoria, B.C. Royal Roads University’s role as a leader for change and social innovation has been recognized with its designation as an Ashoka U Changemaker Campus.
Our programs are created and led by industry experts and instructors with real-world experience, whose knowledge and teaching methods reflect the current demands of our global economy’s ever-changing landscape.
Our innovative blended learning model combines intensive online learning with on-campus residencies, ensuring you receive in-person access to leading faculty and still meet the demands of your career and life.
We provide real-world challenges with a focus on practical outcomes that make a difference in the world. Meaning, the skills you learn today can be immediately applied in the workplace tomorrow.
Vision, Goals & Values
Our new strategic vision celebrates our past and looks forward 25 years, with goals and actions crafted to ensure we continue to deliver life-changing education — creating leaders who change the world.
Inspiring people with the courage to transform the world.
- Any age, any stage, any place: We’re an engine of lifelong learning for students no matter where they are in the world, their careers and their lives.
- Explore, share, advance: We support interdisciplinary research that pushes boundaries, removes barriers and finds solutions to today’s critical issues.
- Invite in, venture out: We engage communities locally, nationally and globally — leaning into partnerships, learning from others and warmly welcoming all people.
- Vibrant and sustainable: We champion a sustainable campus with leading-edge infrastructure and online platforms — one that is a top workplace in Canada and takes action on reconciliation, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Caring A diverse and supportive community for our students, faculty and staff.
- Creative Innovation in all we do; we continually seek new and better ways to do things.
- Courageous Bold in our actions; we welcome challenges and take thoughtful risks.
- Build on our strengths in applied and professional programming, inter-and transdisciplinarity, and innovative delivery
- Grow our innovative and entrepreneurial culture, and respond quickly to changes in the workplace and society.
- Enhance the inclusion and engagement of people of diverse backgrounds and ideas in all aspects of university life.
- Implement the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and honor the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Advance sustainability in all our academic programs and operations, with a focus on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Promote research and education to tackle the climate crisis, rapid advances in technology and interconnected social, economic and political challenges.
At Royal Roads University, we promote a healthy balance of work, study and most importantly, fun. We host a variety of virtual and in-person activities and events to build community, connect you with other Royal Roads students, and enhance your student experience.
Aligned with Royal Roads University's response to COVID-19, all student life activities including the Recreation Centre, events, and volunteering have moved online. Join us, get involved, and stay connected wherever you are!
Visit the Student Events Calendar to find out what events are happening soon. You can add events to your digital calendar directly from the event post, so you don’t miss out.
Whether you are studying from a distance, in a residency, or in an on-campus program, there are opportunities to be involved with other members of the Royal Roads community. Joining a club or an activity will connect you to other students, faculty and staff at Royal Roads. Not sure where to start? Participate in a webinar, volunteer with Campus Ambassadors or the Community Service Leadership Project, or start your own online club!
- Are you a new student? The LaunchPad: Orientation to RRU is for you!
- Check out the Student Events Calendar to find out what's happening
- Find Club & Organizations that match your interests – or start your own club!
- Volunteer as a Campus Ambassador or with the Community Service Leader Project
- Find out more about the Royal Roads Student Association (RRUSA) and how it supports the academic experience at RRU
- Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Connect with studentrepresentatives on the Board of Governors and Academic Council
For over 25 years, we’ve been doing things differently. From our online learning expertise to professors who know you by name, this is an education like no other.