This new city needed teachers. It was the early 1900s. Coal mining, brick manufacturing, and various heavy industries had become economic engines in Pittsburg. Opportunities abound for those ready to work. But first, they needed to learn. They needed teachers. The Kansas State Manual Training Normal School Auxiliary opened in September 1903. One building, 54 students. This new school would prepare teachers in curriculum areas vital to success and prosperity in the hands-on, industrial age.
More than a century later, that mission remains at the core of Pittsburg State University. By providing interactive, engaging courses throughout four different colleges, Pitt State transforms the lives of our students, our community, and the entire Southeast Kansas region.