The Barcelona School of Architecture (ETSAB) is the largest and oldest school of architecture in Catalonia. It offers training in all cycles of university education, both undergraduate and master's, and has a prominent role in research in the Spanish and Latin American university thanks to the work of its faculty, which meets through groups of research at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya BarcelonaTech (UPC). The school also leads the teaching of landscaping in Spain and remains in constant collaboration with the most prestigious schools in Europe.
As a public school, its vocation is at the service of society as a whole, with a strong commitment to architecture and a contemporary city that is livable and cultured, and with a special sensitivity for the public, democratic and quality space. The studies taught have a strong technical, cultural, and urban component, which allows our graduates to be in the most diverse positions in the process of defining and building the environment. Becoming liberal professionals, civil servants, or hired by industry, able to understand reality through the architectural project.
The Barcelona School of Architecture was founded on September 18, 1875, at the University of Barcelona. Its antecedents go back to the School of Noble Arts of Lonja, called Escola de Llotja, founded in 1775 and sponsored by the Junta Particular de Comercio de Barcelona, from which the Architecture Class will be created, directed by Antoni Cellars since 1817. In 1850, the teaching of the profession of Master of Works was made official within the old school of Noble Arts, transformed into the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Jorge. The School of Master Builders is the immediate predecessor of the School of Architecture. In 1972, the ETSAB was a co-founder of the UPC.