What are the opportunities for the management of migration flows? How to prevent discrimination and promote interaction and cohesion in culturally diverse societies?
Mode of education
The Master’s programme Governance of Migration and Diversity provides state-of-the-art courses and training given by dedicated scholars from five academic disciplines. During classes interaction amongst students and between students and professors is stimulated.
During the course, several site visits are organised to engage with firsthand experiences of governance issues. In the past years we have inter alia visited the International Organisation for Migration (IOM)Opens external, the Essalam MosqueOpens external and an asylum seekers centre.
The courses of this programme consist of two parts: you follow 50% of your courses within the regular Public Administration curriculum, and 50% within the Governance of Migration and Diversity specialisation together with GMD students from sociology, history and development studies.
The curriculum is subject to alteration. No rights may be derived from this information (including the information via the links).
General Courses - Master Governance of Migration and Diversity (30 ECTS)
- Block 1
- Politics of Migration and Diversity
- Block 1 + 2
- Governance of Migration and Diversity
- History of Migration and Diversity
- Block 2
- Sociology of Migration and Diversity
- Block 3
- Migration and Development
- Social Inequality in the City, Diversity & Design
Courses - Track Public Administration (30 ECTS)
- Block 1
- Comparative Public Policy
- Block 2
- Media, Politics and Governance
- Block 3
- Designing Migration Policy Research
- Block 4
Why study Master Governance of Migration and Diversity - Public Administration
In the Master’s specialisation Governance of Migration and Diversity, part of the Public Administration Master’s programme at Erasmus University Rotterdam, you learn to manage complex societal problems within the public sector, with a special focus on the contemporary issues migration and diversity.
How to reconstruct a city centre? What are the opportunities for the management of migration flows and how to prevent discrimination and promote interaction and cohesion in culturally diverse societies?
In our globalised and complex network society, these urgent questions need to be answered.
In order to do this, experts who demonstrate analytical skills, connective leadership, entrepreneurial attitudes and a strong ethical compass to achieve innovative solutions for societal problems are needed. This Master’s programme in Public Administration at Erasmus University Rotterdam focuses on the research, analysis and management of societal issues.
What is this specialisation about?
Migration and diversity are key factors in some of the most fundamental transformations of society today. These transformations do not merely involve migrants. Moreover, they have an impact on society at large. Migration and diversity have become highly politicised issues that play an important role in contemporary politics in many countries. These issues influence many different aspects of society, such as education, housing, labour and international relations.
This specialisation studies migration and diversity from an interdisciplinary perspective, addressing the different sides of this societal transformation. The programme provides students with a strong theoretical basis.
During the programme, the development of migration and the incorporation of migrant policies are studied. Furthermore, the development of welfare state regimes, and how this affects issues of migration and diversity, is examined.
You will learn to critically assess how policies have been developed in cities and countries across the world and how migration and diversity are discussed in broader political debates and in the media.
The Master’s specialisation Governance of Migration and Diversity brings together different disciplines: history, sociology, politics, international development and urban design as a foundation for a better understanding of the governance of migration and diversity. The programme is a collaboration between Erasmus University Rotterdam (including the Institute for Social Studies in The Hague), Leiden University and Delft University of Technology.
The cooperation between these universities provides a unique combination of varied expertise within one single Master’ programme. Students can apply to one of the four tracks: HistoryOpens external (Leiden University), Sociology, Public Administration (both Erasmus University) and International Relations & DevelopmentOpens external (ISS, The Hague). The Public Administration track offered by Erasmus University Rotterdam focuses specifically on public policy-making and the broader political implications of migration and diversity.
Why choose this programme?
- Knowledge which will help you to address governance issues related to migration and diversity from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- A unique interdisciplinary programme, with courses taught by leading scholars from three universities and five academic disciplines.
- A focus on policies, politics and governance at an international, national and local level.
- Education which has a direct link to contemporary issues. Students are trained to contribute to the governance of migration and diversity.
- Top-level education. The Public Administration programme at Erasmus University is ranked number 1 in the ShanghaiRanking's 2017.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Welcome to the highly-ranked Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), a research university located in the city of Rotterdam, the Netherlands. With 170 nationalities Rotterdam is a diverse and vibrant city. As a harbour city, the arrival of migrants is part of the identity Rotterdam, today and in the past.
Erasmus University was founded in 1913 as an economical institute. Over the years, it has grown into a university with knowledge of many different disciplines which has become internationally recognised for its distinct social orientation in education and research. Our 26,000+ students come from more than 100 countries around the world and the university is ranked among the most international universities in the world.
Career opportunities for Master Governance of Migration and Diversity - Public Administration
Graduates of this programme are suitable candidates for governance positions and consultancy or positions at NGOs or research groups working on related multifaceted governance issues.
Master in Public Administration
The Master’s programme in Public Administration provides insights, tools and competencies that can be applied to governance problems found anywhere in the modern world.
After the completion of this specialisation, you will be able to identify and analyse social issues related to migration and diversity. Furthermore, you are able to provide advice on these problems.
During this Master’s programme you will:
- Develop a multidisciplinary understanding of migration and diversity from various perspectives, including history, development studies, sociology, public administration and urbanism.
- Acquire a methodological understanding in order to study migration and diversity.
- Learn to better understand the governance implications of migration and diversity at the local (urban), regional, national as well as European and international level.
- Obtain professional skills in terms of designing strategies for the management of migration and diversity at the policy level.
Graduates of this specialisation will be suitable candidates for positions in governmental organisations (policy-makers, policy advisors, lobbyists) and organisations in civil society (e.g. unions, political parties, research institutes) on the local, national or international level. Graduates of this programme currently work as e.g. integration advisors at local governments or as project assistants at e.g. IOM.
- Official CROHO name: Public Administration
- Programme name: Governance of Migration and Diversity - Public Administration
- Instruction language: English
- Type: Master
- Duration: 1 year
- Location: Campus Woudestein, Rotterdam
- Tuition fees (2019-2020):
- €2.083 (Statutory fee)
- €11.900 (Institutional fee: EEA/EU students)
- €14.900 (Institutional fee: NON-EEA/EU students)
About the School
ESSB is home to a vast diversity of study programmes and scientific disciplines: Public Administration, Pedagogical Sciences, Psychology and Sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS ... Read More